Every time I watch the State of the Union Address, the subject of income taxes seems to come to mind. After all, how often do we, the taxpayers have an opportunity to see the faces of those who decide how our tax money is spent? And no, my initial thoughts are not normally positive. You’re right, not even my secondary thoughts are either. So, I thought it would be good to list some positive truths that come to mind with some sincere effort.
- Paying taxes is a chance to build personal integrity.Carefully following the tax code-in other words not cheating or fudging even a little-builds your personal integrity. No amount of dollars is worth damaging your personal integrity. We might slip by the IRS, but we will know the truth.
- The benefits we enjoy. I might be driving a dangerous vehicle on a dirt road lined with thieves and murderers on my way to church tonight if it weren’t for taxes we all paid into the system.
- Tax laws are constantly changing. This one may not seem so good, except for how it gives hope that someday we will get it right and actually pay into a truly fair tax system. Personally, I favor a flat tax rate for everyone.
- Paying taxes is patriotic. I feel patriotic when I see a military jet or helicopter fly over. I was proud to be a small contributor when I watched Navy Seals running maneuvers outside my hotel window overlooking San Diego Bay last Spring.
- Some of our tax dollars are used to aid people who are unable to work, purchase adequate food, receive medical attention, etc. I am thankful for that where the needs are real and caused through no fault of the persons involved. At the same time, unfortunately, as a result of attitudes such as laziness and entitlement, this positive aspect has been severely abused.
- Paying taxes indicates you enjoyed some income.
- Tax laws allow for quite a few deductions. When we work hard to earn it, we owe it to ourselves to take advantage of tax laws which are designed to lower our tax obligation.
- Tax revenues help us hold elected officials accountable. The voting record of each of those folks is readily available and we have the power of our vote to influence who stays in office and who does not.
- Receiving a tax refund at least seems like a good thing. Just don’t tell yourself that you have actually, in most cases, loaned money to the government free of interest.
- Paying taxes is better than death. Ben Franklin said, “The only things certain in life are death and taxes”. I’d like to pay taxes for a long time!
Here are a few more quotes you might enjoy.
“If Patrick Henry thought that taxation without representation was bad, he should see how bad it is with representation.” — Farmer’s Almanac
“Optimist: Someone who sets aside two hours to do his income tax return.” — Unknown
“Tax reform means, ‘Don’t tax you, don’t tax me. Tax that fellow behind the tree.'” — Russell Long
What can you add to my list?