Since our church is studying Sunday School lessons on stewardship this month, it seemed like a good time to share some thoughts on the subject. It also fits very well with three of my blog categories: Faith, Family and Finances. When you have time, read the references given with each statement.
No, I have not been bribed by the church finance committee to write this post. 🙂
1) There are numerous verses in the Old and New Testament regarding the importance of tithing and giving. Proverbs 3:9 and Malachi 3:10
2) Tithing is introduced and explained as giving a tenth in the Old Testament. In the New Testament, tithing is expanded to giving everything to God. This concept really was what God intended all along. Jesus made it crystal clear. Luke 9: 23-25
3) Tithing is really about making and living by priorities. Choosing to give back to Him first makes the other priorities fall into place much easier. Matthew 6: 33
4) Even when it comes to tithing, God is most concerned about the heart of the giver. Like anything else, care is required to avoid legalism in giving. Matthew 23: 23 and II Corinthians 9:7
5) Committing to a budget is the first step toward financial stability. Making our tithe the first line item stabilizes the budget. Proverbs 3: 9-10
6) Our tithe is intended for the local church where we are members. Giving to other worthy causes must come from funds outside the tithe. Malachi 3: 10a
7) Tithing greatly decreases financial anxiety. You may wonder how in the world “it all worked out” until you remember these verses. II Corinthians 9: 8 and Ephesians 3: 20-21
8) Biblical giving is a sure way to receive a blessing. Investments are important. There is no better investment than in His Kingdom work. Try to imagine compounding interest for eternity! Acts 20: 35
9) Since He already owns it all, God does not need my money or possessions. But I sure do want to be as much a part of His Plans as he is willing to allow. Psalm 50: 10-12 and Joshua 24:15.
10) Tithing opens the door for growth in my relationship with the Lord. When that is good, it’s ALL good! Luke 6: 38
Click here to find a list of 101 Proverbs about money from Dave Ramsey.
It would please me a lot if you would add your thoughts to this list!